Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Distractions

I joke when I sometimes say that I have ADD. 
I really don't, but I could definitely be accused of "shiny object disease", or being like that dog in the movie "Up"; "Squirrel!"

I am partially to blame for my lack of focus. I live a life with too many tabs open at once and then I get frustrated when I freeze up or completely shut down.

I may be letting myself off the hook here a little bit, but isn't that a side effect of the culture that we live in?

The space inside my brain is whirling with instant google knowledge, and extracurricular schedules and story plots from Masterpiece Theater. Let's not forget that on top of all that, are all of my responsibilities and relationships and the running dialogue between me and God about what I am doing here.

I have days when I am genuinely disappointed that I wasn't born in an easier time. When your village was your world and you life revolved around basic needs and the people you were needy beside.

But I wasn't. 
I was specially placed in this age of technology, and for a time such as this.
Our basic needs are easily met. It is so easy to make for ourselves a painless existence, but by doing so we can miss everything.

"For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?" (Mark 8:36)

The wealth of our world and the distractions in it are things that will steal our lives from us.

Our world can't take us away from God (Romans 8:38-39) but it can prevent us from having any crowns to cast at His feet( Revelation 4:10-11)

My friend the owl was back this morning after being gone since October. I don't believe in coincidences.

I have already gone off track far enough that I needed another physical reminder of the desolation in my very neighborhood. 

I have to start right outside my front door, and I am guessing that this blog isn't in their feed.
I believe that God is going to hold me accountable on this, but I will have his help all along the way.

"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ" (Philippians 1:6)

Even if he has to enlist the service of an owl.


No comments:

Post a Comment