Thursday, February 20, 2014

Heart Rate Recovery

I actually wrote this blog past last summer, but took it down because I'm weird and I do stuff like that.

It seems fitting now with the running analogy that won't stop and for the fact that I think I will always be in a season of training.


"Rather train yourself in godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come"
(1Timothy 4:7-8)


Train: (v.)
to form by instruction, discipline or drill
to teach so as to make fit, qualified, or proficient
to make prepared (as by exercise) for a test of skill


None of these words seem out of place in my world right now. I am most definitely being prepared for something and so I guess I should expect drills to test my readiness and gauge my progress.

I just so happen to be undergoing a "drill" of sorts. I already know that my instant response or reaction to this particular skills test fell short of the godliness goal.

Still wrestling with this skin I'm in, I had a moment yesterday that made me agree with Paul when he wrote his friends in Rome saying, "For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but do the very thing I hate."

Some plans of mine, very big plans involving moving trucks and a new set of keys, fell through this week. Instead of accepting the redirection as a sovereign decision and trusting that is will all turn out for my good in the end, I pitched a downright fit.
I was cranky with my sweet kiddos and I spent all afternoon feeling pretty sorry for myself. 
My temper was running high all day.

I know better, and God and I talked it out eventually.

The good news is that my "eventually" was a little sooner this time, and improved recovery time is progress indeed.

I trained for a 5K once. ( a very slow 5K, but who cares)
One of the metrics I used to track my progress was my heart rate recovery time.
When you are not exercising you have a baseline heart rate, (mine is in the upper 80s--pretty good).
When you exercise your heart rate goes way up ( mine would go as high as the 170s-not so good), and then gradually slows and returns to baseline when you are done exercising.
As you train more and build more muscle; the time it takes your heart rate to return to baseline decreases. You start to bounce back and catch your breath faster.

That's exactly how my "godliness training" is working. When I am faced with a test of my skills or a drill,  my heartrate....bloodpressure....temper rises, but as I am growing and strengthening myself through these trials, my recovery time is getting shorter. I return peace and trust more quickly and I am able to still myself in the presence of God sooner.

I don't expect myself to keep my baseline heart rate all the time, or to stay in a constant state of peace. That is unattainable. I am knit together with flesh and bone and certain aspects of myself are always going to respond a certain way, but if I train constantly to keep myself from extreme spikes and to help me recover faster and faster, I will find myself at peace in God's presence more often.

That is awesome.
That I can do.


Still working on Godliness.
Still training.
Still awesome stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment