Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Reasonable

I'm a little distracted by my schedule today, and yes I see the irony.

I just have a little thought to share.

I switch between translations a lot. The ESV is my usual study version.

This morning I read Philippians 4:5
 "Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand;"

I peeked at the NIV and reasonableness was replaced by gentleness. Other translations were: moderation, gentle spirit, graciousness.

I am probably not known for my gentleness or moderation.

I got a little nerdy with it and looked up the Greek word, and found epieikes.

Epieikes: 1. Seemingly, suitable 2. Equitable, fair, mild, gentle
(Thayers's via studylight.org)

Would I be widely recognized at suitable? Equitable? Fair? Mild?

I keep settling on reasonable. Am I perceived as a reasonable person?

Be capable of reason, Katie.

That's plenty to chew on for today.








No comments:

Post a Comment